If you want to freelance, you must have a VAT ID (btw-ID). You can apply for this VAT ID in two ways: via the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel in Dutch) or the Tax authorities (Belastingdienst in Dutch). Registration at the Chamber of Commerce might be interesting when you are planning to make use of the following benefits:

  • You are officially registered in the trade register and receive a Chamber of Commerce number (KvK nummer) and your VAT ID.
  • With your Camber of Commerce number, you can open a business account at a bank or take out additional insurance. 
  • In addition, you can use the starters' or entrepreneurs' credit (only when you meet the required criterion). 

For registration, you pay a one-time fee of €75,- at the Chamber of Commerce. More information about registration at the Chamber of Commerce can be found here.

Applying to the Tax Authorities for just a VAT ID is free, and you will receive your VAT ID within two weeks. How to apply for a VAT ID can be found here.