To work as a freelancer, you need a VAT ID (btw-ID). You can apply for a VAT ID at the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel in Dutch) or the Tax Authorities (Belastingdienst). If you register with the Chamber of Commerce, they will request your VAT ID for you. Are you hesitating between the two? Read the differences here.

Would you like that we first check your VAT ID application form and send it for you to the Tax Authorities, you can fill in this application form (Only in Dutch).

To apply for a VAT ID through the Tax Authorities, fill out the document 'Opgaaf Startende Onderneming'. Some of the questions are a little trickier. Read our tips below before filling out these questions:

Question 1: You need to fill in your trade name. You can use for example your full name or come up with a new unique name for your business. It is not allowed to use YoungOnes or the term B.V. in your trade name.

Question 3a: Don't forget to fill in your last name.

Question 5a: Don't forget to fill in what applies to you.

Question 6: Don't forget to fill in what applies to you.

Question 7a: You need to describe the activities of business without mentioning a company name. For example, you can think about different industries such as hospitality, logistics, promotional work or store work. It is not allowed to write down YoungOnes.

Question 8a: Fill in here the expected turnover of your company.

Question 8b: Fill in here the estimate costs you will incur for your business.

Question 11: Be careful with filling out the right date. Make sure it is the date of signing, so that is today!